Most of the Indian villages or states still live in the dark because they don’t have electricity. It’s very difficult to live in these types of areas because life will be stopped without electricity. The government of India has launched a scheme named Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana. This scheme is also called PM Saubhagya Yojana.
The main objective of this scheme is to provide electricity access to all those areas that don’t have it. Electricity will be provided to all un-electrified households in both rural and urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country. Pradhan Mantri Shri Narendra Modi Ji launched this scheme at Deendayal Urja Bhawan, in New Delhi on September 25, 2017.
This scheme was implemented by the Ministry of Power, and the nodal agency for the operationalization of the scheme throughout the country is Rural Electrification Corporation Limited India (REC). Now that you’ve basic information about the scheme, let’s move towards its benefits.
Saubhagya Yojana Features & Benefits
There are lots of benefits that the government is offering along with this scheme including subsidies on equipment. Let’s talk about each and every benefit of the Saubhagya scheme and it’ll help you in decision-making whether you should apply for the scheme or not.
- Beneficiaries would be identified using Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data, and those beneficiaries would’ve provided free electricity connections.
- Those beneficiaries who are not eligible for the SECC 2011, will also have electricity connections but they’ve to pay Rs. 500/- per month and this payment will be recovered by DISCOMS in 10 installments through the electricity bill.
- BPL households will also have free electricity connections.
- It’s a concurrent program to Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY).
- The total budget of this scheme is 16,320 crores while the Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) is Rs. 12,320 crore.
- The total budget for rural households is Rs. 14,025/- crore while the GBS is Rs. 10,587.50/- crore.
- The budget assigned for the urban households is Rs. 2,295/- crore while the GBS is Rs. 1,732.50 crore.
- This scheme is for all the states and villages which are un-electrified.
- The government is providing solar photo voltaic-based stand-alone plants that’ll be provided in remote and inaccessible areas.
- Financial assistance will be provided to the distribution companies by the government and these companies will provide free electricity in rural and urban households.
- The central government will provide solar packs to un-electrified households including 5 LED bulbs and a DC fan where the electric wires and transformers are not available.
- The central government will also provide solar power packs of 200 to 300 WP with a battery bank to rural and urban areas.
- The government will bear the cost of repairing the battery bank for 05 years.
- The government is providing equipment like transformers, wires, and meters at subsidized rates.
- To implement this program and ensure people are well-informed, the government will set up camps in each village. These camps aim to raise awareness among the residents about the importance of having an electricity connection and to assist them in getting electricity in their homes.
- If you’re a farmer and worried about irrigating your land then you can apply for the PM Kusum Solar Pump Yojana, and the government will provide you with solar panels for the irrigation of your land.
Eligibility Criteria for Saubhagya Yojana
The Saubhagya Yojana has specific eligibility criteria to determine the households that can avail of the benefits under the scheme. The eligibility criteria include:
- Families who belong to the BPL category are eligible for this scheme.
- Scheduled tribes and Scheduled castes families are also eligible.
- Other economically weaker sections of society are also included.
- Beneficiaries whose name is registered in the socio-economic section are also eligible.
- Those beneficiaries whose names are not registered in the socio-economic section can avail of the benefits of this scheme just by paying Rs. 500/- to the government in 10 installments.
- The government will collect data from local authorities, electricity distribution companies, or other relevant government agencies and these surveys help in identifying households without electricity connections and determining the eligibility of households based on their socio-economic conditions.
- The scheme covers both rural and urban households. It includes households located in remote and inaccessible areas, as well as those residing in urban slums.
In-eligibility Criteria for Saubhagya Yojana
While the Saubhagya Yojana aims to provide electricity connections to as many households as possible, there are certain ineligibility criteria for the scheme. The specific ineligibility criteria are for all state and local regulations, but here are some common factors that may render a household ineligible for the benefits under the Saubhagya Yojana:
- If a family has a 2/3/4 wheeler or a fishing boat, then that family is ineligible.
- Rural or urban households with 3 to 4-wheeler agricultural equipment are also not eligible.
- Government employees can’t apply for this Saubhagya scheme.
- If any family member whose income is more than Rs. 1000/- per month then that family is ineligible.
- Taxpayers are also not eligible for this scheme.
- If a family has a pucca house with 3 rooms in it then that family will not take benefits of the Saubhagya Yojana.
- Farmers with 2.5 acres of land and agricultural equipment are not eligible but those farmers can take Rs. 6000/- per annum in 4 installments by applying for the PM Kisan Beneficiary Status.
- Farmers having more than 5 acres of land also cannot get the benefit of this scheme.
Overview of PM Saubhagya Yojana
|Yojana Name||PM Saubhagya Yojana|
|Saubhagya Yojana Full Form||Sahaj Har Ghar Bijli Yojana|
|Launched By||Shri Narendra Modi Ji|
|Launched Place||Deendayal Urja Bhawan, New Delhi|
|Launched Date||25 September, 2017|
|Ministry||Ministry of Power|
|Nodal Agency||Rural Electrification Corporation Limited India (REC)|
|Benefits||Provide electricity to all un-electrified households|
|Beneficiaries||People who don’t have electricity in rural and urban areas.|
|Application Process||Online & Offline|
Estimated Number of Electrified and Unelectrified Households
|Total Rural Households||1985 Lakh|
|Total Electrified Households||1520 Lakh|
|Total Unelectrified Households Till Now||465 Lakh|
|BPL Households who have been sanctioned under DDUGJY but have not yet electrified||256 Lakh|
|Rest of the families||185 Lakh|
|Economically poor electrified households in urban areas||50 Lakh|
|Total electrified households not yet covered||331 lakh|
Saubhagya Yojana Online Registration
If you want to know how to apply for Saubhagya Yojana online and want to get out of the dark then you can apply for the Yojana through an online process. The government of India has made the process very easy and simple so that every Indian can apply for it without having any issues. Read all the steps and focus on the images for better understanding.
Visit the official website of Saubhagya Yojana which is https://saubhagya.gov.in/, and its home page will appear on your screen.
Now click on the Guest option, given at the top right corner of the screen, and then hit on the Sign-in option.
When you click on the said link, a new page will open on your screen and you can access the portal by entering your Role ID, Email, or Mobile number.
Enter what you already have and also enter the password.
When you click on the Sign-in option, the system will show you the electrification progress in your area. You can also check the monthly progress and achievements of the electrical department.
Saubhagya Yojana Offline Registration
If you prefer to apply for PM Saubhagya Yojana offline, there are a couple of ways you can do it. Firstly, you can visit your nearest electricity department office and submit your application there. Alternatively, you can reach out to your electricity distributor and apply through them.
Another option is to get in touch with the helpline number provided on the official website of Pradhan Mantri Saubhagya Yojana. They can guide you on how to apply offline and also provide you with any additional information you may need.
What is Saubhagya Yojana?
Saubhagya Yojana, officially known as Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana, is an Indian government initiative launched in September 2017. The aim of the scheme is to provide electricity access to all households in rural and urban areas across the country.
The Saubhagya Yojana was launched as part of the government’s commitment to achieving universal household electrification and improving the quality of life for people without access to electricity. The scheme seeks to bridge the gap and ensure that every household has an electricity connection.
Implementation Process of Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana ( Saubhagya Yojana)
The implementation of Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana, commonly known as Saubhagya Yojana, involves various steps and processes to ensure the effective and efficient provision of electricity connections to eligible households. Here are the key aspects of its implementation:
Survey and identification: The government conducts surveys and identifies households that are without electricity connections. This involves gathering data on unelectrified households in both rural and urban areas.
Application and registration: Once the households are identified, they are required to apply and register for the Saubhagya Yojana. This process typically involves filling out application forms and providing necessary details such as personal information, address, and identification documents.
Verification and eligibility: The submitted applications undergo a verification process to confirm the eligibility of the households. This may involve on-site inspections or other means of assessment to determine if the households meet the criteria set by the scheme.
Financial assistance: Upon verification of eligibility, the approved households receive financial assistance from the government to cover the cost of electricity connections. This includes expenses related to infrastructure, wiring, and metering.
Coordination with power distribution companies (DISCOMs): The implementation of Saubhagya Yojana requires close coordination with power distribution companies at the state or regional level. DISCOMs play a crucial role in executing the electrification process, including the installation of electricity meters and ensuring the availability of power supply to the newly connected households.
Installation of electricity connections: After the financial assistance is provided and coordination with DISCOMs is established, the process of installing electricity connections begins. This involves setting up the necessary infrastructure, conducting wiring work, and installing meters at the households.
Monitoring and reporting: To ensure transparency and accountability, the implementation of Saubhagya Yojana involves monitoring and reporting mechanisms. Regular progress updates, including the number of households electrified, are reported to the central government or the relevant implementing authority.
Awareness campaigns: Alongside the implementation process, the government often conducts awareness campaigns to educate eligible households about the benefits of electricity connections, the application process, and the importance of electricity for various aspects of daily life.
How to Download Saubhagya Yojana App
Here’s another easy way to trace the electrification process related to the Saubhagya Yojana. You just need to download the Saubhagya Mobile app through the Google play store and we’ll guide how you can access the portal with just a click. Read all the information carefully to avoid any problems.
First of all, go to the google play store, type in the search bar PM Saubhagya Yojana and click on the search button. All the apps related to that yojana will appear on your screen. Click on the Saubhagya App and download it. When the App will be downloaded to your mobile phone.
Open the App and sign in by entering your Rold ID, Email, or Mobile Number. Hit on the sign-in button and all the details related to the Saubhagya yojana will appear on your screen. You can trace the current progress of electricity in your area and can also contact REC employees for further information.
PM Saubhagya Yojana Helpline Number
If you’re already registered through the online or offline process but still the government officials don’t respond to you then you can contact them through a helpline number. People who want to contact the electricity department can call them on the number which is given below.
Saubhagya Toll-Free Helpline Number: 1800-121-5555
DISCOMs helpline Numbers PDF
The Saubhagya Yojana has emerged as a transformative initiative in India, aimed at bringing light to every household and empowering millions of lives. By providing electricity connections to unelectrified households in both rural and urban areas, the scheme has not only illuminated homes but also ignited the flame of progress, prosperity, and inclusivity.
The impact of Saubhagya Yojana goes beyond the flick of a switch. It has facilitated better education opportunities for children, improved healthcare services, enhanced productivity, and opened doors to new economic possibilities. The scheme has bridged the gap between the haves and the have-nots, empowering marginalized communities and fostering social equity.